“We’d decided on the spur of the moment to take the twins down to Thayer Woods. They love exploring over there. While we were gone, some wires in the kitchen wall overheated and caught on fire. The alarm system called the fire department, and by the time we got home, they already had the flames out. They saved the house! But what a mess!”
When the fire department responds to an emergency call, they focus first on saving lives, and then on saving property. Kitchen fires can be difficult to extinguish. While the fire is burning, it generates smoke, soot and grime which clings to and covers every surface it touches. The fire department can use hundreds of gallons of water and chemical fire extinguishers to put out the blaze. After the flames are out, this water and chemical mix remains.
Cleaning up this mess is not a do-it-yourself job. As your Cohasset fire clean up team can tell you, the smoke, soot, and grime contains many toxic chemicals – some are even thought to cause cancer! The presence of water and extinguisher residue can make it difficult to navigate through your home, increasing the risk of falls and injury.
Facing the interior of your home after a fire can also be emotionally overwhelming. “I saw the kitchen, and everything was black. I was sure everything was totally ruined, and all I could do was cry. Everything was in there – my Mother’s teapot, the china – and I just couldn’t handle knowing all of that was gone forever.”
Many families choose to stay in a hotel or with family and friends while the Cohasset fire clean up service handles cleaning up the fire scene. Service Masters South Shore offers a comprehensive range of services, including carpet cleaning, upholstered furniture restoration, fire scene clean up, water remediation and more. Do you need more information? Contact us today!